As soon as I saw the promo photo for the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit Vol 3, I knew I had to have it. I missed out on the first edition, didn’t have any interest in last years, but this years really caught my eye. Read on to hear my thoughts and see swatches!
WHAT IS IT
According to the Hourglass Cosmetics website:
“A limited edition Ambient® Lighting Edit featuring three best-selling and three new exclusive powders for a flawlessly lit complexion. This travel friendly palette of lighting essentials takes you from day to night so you can create your perfect light anytime, anywhere. Available in a limited edition rose gold compact this holiday season.”
It features 6 shades (left to right, top row first):
- Ambient® Lighting Powder – Diffused Light
- Ambient® Strobe Lighting Powder – Hypnotic Strobe Light (new shade)
- Ambient® Lighting Powder – Dim Light
- Ambient® Lighting Bronzer – Luminous Bronze Light
- Ambient® Lighting Blush – Surreal Halo (new shade)
- Ambient® Lighting Blush – Pure Effect (new shade)
In classic Hourglass fashion, the packaging does not disappoint. Who could pass on beautiful rose gold packaging? It also has a large mirror which will be fantastic for traveling.
COMPARISON TO OTHER AMBIENT LIGHTING PRODUCTS
As you can see, the pans of the 2017 holiday palette are quite small. I have no trouble using my blush and highlighting brushes but my bronzer brush cannot fit into the pan so I have to maneuver it a bit. It doesn’t really bother me, but I know it does bother others.
Pure Effect blush is what I would describe as a bright, pink poppy shade with pink shimmer throughout. Surreal Halo is a medium deep mauve with gold shimmer. Luminous Bronze Light a golden warm bronzer with gold shimmer. Dim Light is a soft peach. Hypnotic Strobe Light is a shimmery light gold (and probably my favourite shade in the range). Diffused Light is a light yellow based white powder.
Comparison of all the Hourglass blushes I own.
Comparison of the Hourglass highlighting powders I own.
IS IT WORTH IT?
There is a lot of talk when these holiday palettes come out as to whether they are worth the money you pay for the amount of product you get. For comparison, here are the sizes of each product:
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer – 0.39oz/11gr
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder – 0.35oz/10gr
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush – 0.15oz/4.2gr
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette – 0.16oz/3.3gr x 3
- 2017 Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit Vol 3 – 0.04oz/1.3gr x 6
I personally think it is worth it if you do not own any Hourglass products or if you’re a avid Hourglass lover like I am.
READ MORE HOURGLASS REVIEWS